11.19.2008

Todays Teens


Okay, let me just give a quick backdrop to this posting; I am a young mother and I am raising a tween daughter. Having stated that, you ladies whom are raising children in this era know it is difficult, it is like these kids come out of the womb with information about any and everything.... I was on the train today and as I got settled into my seat, yea I actually got a seat, there were some kids who were older than my child but not significantly, submerged in a heavy conversation. They were loud for one, but that wasn't even the part that concerned me, it was the topics they discussed. These kids looked to be about 14 or 15, which is still young in my eyes to talk about the things they "knew" so much about. I mean I almost had to pick my face off the floor while listening to this conversation. The cursing, the derogatory marks about other peers, the disrespect, the content... I was utterly disgusted. When I was a teen granted I was far from perfect, however I was afraid to be anywhere in public cursing or acting a fool, I just knew someone would see me and I would get into trouble. These kids now, have no regard for social awareness, nor do I think they even care! I just don't know what to say anymore... However, what I think of when I see these kids are, who is doing the raising?, what are they being exposed to and my God my child...

I tell her listen, "I want you to go out into this world loving and respecting yourself". I also tell her not to embarrass herself and also not to embarrass me! If I hear she is miss-behaving in school, on someones corner, train or bus it is going to be a problem!! And parents my message to you would be to take a more proactive role in your children's life, but I probably don't have to tell the mothers that read this blog that!!!! What are your thoughts on today's teens, Speak on it...

No comments: