11.14.2007

Healthy Food is a Right, right?


Ok, so we all know that to walk into any organic or wholefoods store to go shopping for a family is almost impossible if you do not make a certain amount of income. Well at least for me, the single working mom, however if you can then God bless you, but seriously shouldn't good, healthy food be a norm?


I live in one of the outer boroughs and in my neighborhood it is often I walk into any market and find garbage on the shelves or occasionally meat that is just about past expiration and fruit that has become feed for bacteria. When I say garbage not in its literal term, but garbage none the less. Food that is high in MSG, sugar and other ingredients(chemicals) I cannot pronounce. This is saddening in that people who can't necessarily afford to eat good, have to deal with what is available or affordable. I know part of the lack of nutrition is a lack of education on nutrition, I get it; but that definitely is not where it begins. In any well do to neighborhood the supermarkets look fantastic, clean and stocked with an array of products, there is garbage on the shelves also, but then there are those isles. You know those isles of newly created organic brands and the person who wants to give you a sample so that you can taste the goodness and buy and have a healthy family and... You get the point.


Why is this the case, it seems that if food comes from the Earth it should be accessible to everyone. It seems as if adding chemicals into foods would make it more expensive, I mean if you are following me wouldn't that make sense. To cultivate food in its most natural form seems well natural. Outside of the production and government regulations on food, really why is good food a privilege?


Why is our society so ass backwards? It seems like a scheme to me.... But what do I know.


Speak on it






















No comments: